Thursday, October 28, 2010

Time marches on.....

Today would be my grandfather's 108th birthday, if he were still alive! How on earth can I have memories of someone who would be 108!?!?!?

Oh, and my baby brother turns 37 tomorrow! Yep, I'm feeling old.

The other day, little brother was in an urgent state about securing life insurance before his birthday as the the costs go up with age. Took me about 25 minutes to become comfortable with the fact that he's a grown up and I'm fast approaching middle age.

Remember how every Fall and back to school time meant that you had an opportunity to re-invent yourself.... I sort of feel like that these days, as life as I formerly knew it comes crashing down around me... but with the harsh realization time is not really on my side any longer. I've put things off:  I'll save more next year, I'll get back to Jazzercise after the holidays, I'll email that old friend tomorrow. My mind and my body are definitely running on completely different clocks. My mind feels like I'm about 32. My body reminds me I'm about 56. Don't even get me started on those "real-age" quizzes...

I'm staring down the barrel at 40 and having to start my life all over again. I think my official mid-life crisis has begun.

Time to do some serious re-evaluating. What will I take with me into the 2nd half of my life? What will I leave behind? The past 2 years have proven to be great existential sifters to help me air out my priorities... where I put my energy, emotions, and investments of myself and money.


If you had to start life over again, what would you do differently?

2 comments:

  1. I started following you last week, but didnt have time to read your latest post til now! GOOD question! I dont know that I would do anything different as far as relationships, mistakes etc. I honestly think that made me who I am today! BUT would go back and take better care of my body, prevent some irreversable damage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, yeah... great point.... at almost 40 I still dream of a bikini, but really, it ain't going to happen. :(

    ReplyDelete